Sunday, September 18, 2016

Reflection on Place and Culture

I am Filipino, Scottish, and English. My Grandma on my Dads side is Filipino and was born and raised in the Philippines and knows tagalog. My dad's dad is Scottish and was born and raised the U.S. so my dad is half Filipino and half Scottish and my mom is English and German. Making me a quarter Filipino, a quarter Scottish, a quarter German, and a quarter English. I am most influenced by Filipino culture because my grandma makes lots of Filipino foods like lumpia, pancit, chicken adobo, and sou pao, which is my favorite. My other grandma does not make German food. My Filipino grandma is now teaching me tagalog which is very different form the English language. It would be very hard for me to reach out to my cousins in the Philippines because many words, or phrases, would be lost in translation. I don't have much cultural influence from my mom's side of the family. Because the last two generations before my mom's parents were already in the U.S. so they were not influenced by their original culture but by American culture.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Maddy! I'm Rim, from Tangier. I find it very interesting and amazing how a person can have four completely different origins/nationalities at the same time ! I've personnaly never eaten Filipino food but I bet it is delicious but talking about German food, you should definitely try Apfelkuchen (it's basically a German apple pie). Also, I wish I was as athletic as you, you're pretty awesome !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Maddy! I'm Rim, from Tangier. I find it very interesting and amazing how a person can have four completely different origins/nationalities at the same time ! I've personnaly never eaten Filipino food but I bet it is delicious but talking about German food, you should definitely try Apfelkuchen (it's basically a German apple pie). Also, I wish I was as athletic as you, you're pretty awesome !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, but I'm really not that athletic. Also if I get the chance to try Apfelkuchen I certainly will!

      Delete
  3. Hi! madeline ! It's lamiae from tangier, morocco. How are you ? Fin,I hope! I am very astonished and amazed by the variety of your origins! You are really culturally rich! I would be very interested about listening to Tagalog and tasting your Filipino grandma's dishes, especially the one you like most "sou-pao " . I am sure that some day you will be able to talk Tagalog fluently with your cousins. Your are so sociable and enthusiastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,Lamia I'm doing great! How are you? And I hope that one day I can speak it fluently, Thank you!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete